Wings 3D Development Forum
Linux? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ManifoldLab Plug-ins Collection (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Linux? (/showthread.php?tid=1028)

Pages: 1 2

Linux? - Wegg_ - 01-08-2015

I have been transitioning over to linux from Windows for about 6 months and one of the applications that I have really missed has been ManifoldLab/Wings3D. I have Wings, Obviously but Manifoldlab is not bundled and so there is a lot of functionality that I have grown to use a lot is just not there. Is there a guide as to how I can get manifoldlab working on 64bit Debian based linux?

RE: Linux? - ggaliens - 01-08-2015

Depends a bit on just how determined you are to get this done.

Being the MLAB developer ... I can sort of hack and slash build a tar ball that can install with the
offical plugin installer that is each wings3d official release. But here is the problem of knowing the plugin dependencies. There are more than a few of those dependencies between various of my plugins.

Chance of something like this getting done go up a good deal if you were to tell me you were a VMWare user. But I'm guessing that's not the case. I happen to be a long longtime user of VMWARE and do most of my software dev on VMS.

All this above being said ... I have been working on "unwinding" the plugin to plugin dependencies a bit so I could deliver more of them say "ala carte" or individually wrapper.

I can sort of do that for importers and exporters and Booleans and Scatter and voronoi stuff. But it is still a little time consuming.

Do you think you need the whole thing ... all of MLAB ?

At this point ... not having made a linux build in ages and ages ... I might have to compile the QHULL, TETGEN and CarveCSG parts again for debian. Not sure.

You don't do anything crazy like build your own WINGS3D for your debian do you ? If yes ... then perhaps that make some parts easier. IE ... I would know that a Wings3D was "buildable" for a given debian flavor.

RE: Linux? - Wegg_ - 01-09-2015

I have compiled things but that was following very clear step by step directions. Other than that I don't do any development of any sort. I'm in the "User" category. . . not a developer.

The main things I use of yours tend to revolve around Boolean operations. Merging and cutting holes in things etc. Whatever voodoo you do tends to work better than most other solutions I have tried. I have played with and have used your procedural mesh generation quite a few times. Most recently to almost perfectly create a filter sponge zoomed in real close. . but as I am modeling that isn't something that I reach for regularly.

RE: Linux? - ggaliens - 01-09-2015

What debain are you using ? I could TRY ... after a time to build the manifoldlab for that Debian.

The Boolean plugin (tarball) might just work on your debian.

RE: Linux? - Wegg_ - 01-13-2015

I'm using Crunchbang Linux that are drawing from the "Testing" or "Jessie" repositories.

RE: Linux? - ggaliens - 01-13-2015

Are you able to use the 1.5.3 debian official release that is linked to from these pages ?

I'd like to be able to help you ... but these question must ask. If play Linux/Wings again sometime soon ... I'd start with that official debian installer. I think there are other builds around.

RE: Linux? - Wegg_ - 01-14-2015

Yes I'm able to use the official 1.5.3 Debian release.

Where can I find this Boolean plugin (tarball)?

I found it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3cwsi5kvm0jeiae/MI5-gFdPqM

I managed to install it and it . . . didn't work. :-( Everything I try and do says that no new impressions were made, see the rules. I'll see if I can find some rules. :-)

No way. I got manifold lab working on my Linux install. Sort of. I have had to use one of your older 32 bit installers and use wine but it is working! Woo hoo!

RE: Linux? - ggaliens - 01-14-2015

Wegg ... I'm betting that tarball does not have any debian compiled binary for carveCSG's intersect tool in there. It probably just has win32 and mac. So I was out of turn when I suggested the ala-carte Boolean or forgetting the key part is native code.

Let me know if the Wine is working out well enough.

RE: Linux? - Wegg_ - 01-14-2015

It is working great. The only hickup being that I am forced to use whatever you chose to compile in 32bit. Wine doesn't do 64bit yet. But it totally worked. I got the model built and delivered to my client. I. . . have to say you and your vast array of fun tools are what keep me coming back to Wings. I wish your tools were included into wings in a more official manor. Especially Booleans.

RE: Amal Carburetor Mk I - Wegg_ - 01-14-2015

(12-18-2014, 10:29 PM)micheus Wrote:
Hank Wrote:@ggaliens:
Boroleans option in Mlab are incredible. I want to have them in official W3D!
You can. ggaliens already made it available as a "standalone" plugin. No need to be in the core since it uses a 3rd part software.

The updates look awesome!

Is there a repository for these plugins? Are the plugins platform agnostic or do they have dependencies that would restrict their use to just Windows?