Wings 3D Development Forum
Hi.. im new to all this - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gallery (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hi.. im new to all this (/showthread.php?tid=1067)

Hi.. im new to all this - theprideroc - 02-10-2015

I just made my first model and have no clue how to capture a shot to put it on the boards or how to get actual textures into wings. Would greatly appreciate it if someone could clue me in

this is what I am working on
[Image: screenshotfront.png]

and
[Image: Screenshot2.png]

[Image: side1.png]

[Image: Screenshot3.png]

RE: Hi.. im new to all this - Mishou - 02-10-2015

Hello and welcome!

On toolbar go Tools>Screenshot in order to take a screenshot of your work. After you've taken the screenshot, check the outliner window, select the image, right-click on it and choose export.
Now on texturing, I would say to go first with a simple cube in order to get the general idea. So, create a cube, select it, right-click>.UV Mapping. A window will appear, AutoUV segmenting. I work with edges here so I will refer to these, so select edge editing and select some edges in order to unwrap the cube. I will not tell what edges, this will be your task Smile After selecting the necessary edges right-click>Mark edges for cut, again right-click>Continue>Unfolding. A new window appear, AutoUV. Scale, rotate and move the unfolded cube until you are satisfied. After that, right-click>Create texture. A option window pop out, look around, make your checks, for a cube I would say just press ok and ta-da. In the outliner you'll see your uv texture, export it and draw on it that awesome texture which makes all cubes proud.
Hope you got the idea!
Sorry for my english, not my language, and if I made any missteps in my very quick howto, please, correct me!
Have a nice day! Now I go to rest my fingers Smile

RE: Hi.. im new to all this - micheus - 02-10-2015

(02-10-2015, 02:15 PM)Mishou Wrote: I would say to go first with a simple cube in order to get the general idea.
That video can help with this: Wings3d: UV Map - The basic - Unfolding (Part 1) Smile

RE: Hi.. im new to all this - theprideroc - 02-10-2015

I had watched that vid and grasped all the concepts of cutting and unfolding and also followed along with the patrol cap tutorial. I just don't know how to add my own personal textures say from a jpeg ore something else that i have drawn up. and ty on all the info glad to see there were no look it up yourself comments so far. Prior to asking i had already looked up the tutorials and watched several.

ty for the info guys. glad to see that i haven't gotten a go look for yourself comment. Prior to asking i had already viewed the box tutorial and followed along with he patrol cap tutorial as well. so i don't import my textures i actual export the model then paint it all snazzy ill give it a shot. again ty

RE: Hi.. im new to all this - oort - 02-10-2015

theprideroc,
Welcome to the forum. Yes you should learn to use AutoUV, but when I texture something simple, like marble or wood flooring, I use the Snap Image tool.

First, File > Import Image... > Select your wood or marble texture.
Next, Select the faces of your floor and View Along the Axis facing the floor.
Then, Tools > Snap Image > Choose the image.
RMB > Snap Image.
RMB > Exit Snap Mode.

There are options to scale, move and rotate the image/texture while in the Snap Image Tool. Much easier than learning to use AutoUV and works for simple textures.

oort

i have three textures i want to use ready to go ill try and knock that out today..
[Image: whitemetaltexture.jpg]

[Image: bluemetal.jpg]

[Image: carbonfiber.jpg]

It can not be clear yet, but before you can use your "pre built" textures you need to pass by the process to unwrap your model which at the end you will get an image "blabla_auv" - the texture created by wings - exactly as you saw in those videos. This texture can be exported (made external) and can be edited (painted) or replaced by your own image. (I think I made a video showing that too)

Texture images must have a power of two size. Usually 512x512, 1024x1024,...

awesome ty yea i am trying what Oort posted at the moment but it dose not seem to work well with curved surfaces im going to try unwrapping and exporting. i have it all built out of two pieces though should i just unwrap it by sections?

You can do it by selected faces or the entire object.
If the whole object will be textured I think select its whole face can be better. In the auto UV window you just need to mark the right edges for cut - not easy task for curved surfaces. It's something you have to Lear by yourself. Smile
Watch many videos about this operation can help to understand where a cut can make easy the next step. But, even you not doing a good cut in the auto UV you will be able to make new ones or revoke other in the UV editor window.
Don't wore about make mistakes, you are learning. There is the option to undo, or even save your project incrementally.

RE: Hi.. im new to all this - oort - 02-11-2015

theprideroc,
Yes, Snap Image only works good on flat surfaces... somehow I didn't notice the images you posted of your model.... Blush

oort