Wings 3D Development Forum
Crash when oppen (Erl.exe) - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Crash when oppen (Erl.exe) (/showthread.php?tid=1278)

Pages: 1 2

Crash when oppen (Erl.exe) - ViiniciussMaa - 06-20-2015

Recently I installed Wings 3D to do some modeling, but when I try to start it, he crash and apear the windows message "erl.exe stopped working". Why this happens ?

My CPU Specs
-Windows 8.1 x86
-2Gb Ram
-Mobile Intel Graphics

RE: Crash when oppen (Erl.exe) - micheus - 06-20-2015

ViiniciussMaa, welcome to our community.

Please, check the pinned thread in this session (Bugs fixed for the current Wings3d version (1.5.3)). There is a workaround for this situation (the last item). That is probably what you are experiencing.
If those orientations don''t help you, please let us to know.

Cheers

RE: Crash when oppen (Erl.exe) - ViiniciussMaa - 06-20-2015

Hello micheus, I did what you told me, typed in cmd: "C:\Program Files\Wings 3D\bin\werl.exe" -run wings start_halt -extra "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming" but I had following error:

As you "hid" the user name I have to ask you if doesn't it contain any special character (other than the plan ascii)? That has been the usual cause of this starting crash.
We do recommend that you use a simple path like "c:\wings3d". If you get the crash in this situation, then we really have something new to check.

I the problem with paths using UTF8 character is going to fixed for the next release.

Again, let us know if you continue to get the crash after this last test. Smile

My username is "vinic_000" because i logged on my microsoft account.

Now i tested the following command on cmd :

"C:\Program Files\Wings 3D\bin\werl.exe" -run wings start_halt -extra "C:\wings3d" and continues with the same problem.

I will continue making test in wings to find a troubleshoot.

Something I remembered...
Last year I installed Windows 8 for test and I had a problem with starting W3d too. Not sure if it had the same behavior as your, but I fix it by reinstalling W3d and in the install dialog forcing it to install the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime. For some reason the install doesn't mark it for install (maybe because there is a newest version installed), but forcing it be installed fixed the problem.

Check that please.

I tried to do this, uninstalled "Microsoft C++ 2013" and "2010" (the latest) to install that already comes with the "Wings Installer" but still with the same problem, with cmd command or not.

RE: Crash when oppen (Erl.exe) - micheus - 06-21-2015

OK.
Just forgive me for not tell you don't needed uninstall the other versions. They can coexist and can be needed for other applications. I have many of them installed on my system.

It's hard type so many information in a smartphone. Sad

RE: Crash when oppen (Erl.exe) - ViiniciussMaa - 06-21-2015

Yes, my anti-virus needs Microsoft Visual C++ 2013, but i already installed this.

RE: Crash when oppen (Erl.exe) - micheus - 06-21-2015

Please, search your hard drive for *.dump file. It can be generated by W3d or Erl (they have different names).

Just to know, do your account has administrator rights?
If no, run W3D as Administrador (via context menu), because otherwise the dump log possibly created by Erlang will not be write since it uses the install folder for that and we know that "c:\Application Programs (x86)" has restrict access to simple users. When W3D crashes, the dump file is written on the desktop.