Wings 3D Development Forum
Working with Wings... - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gallery (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Working with Wings... (/showthread.php?tid=1557)

Pages: 1 2

Working with Wings... - Dimitri - 02-01-2016

It is my turn to open a thread with Wings’ works, sketches, experiments etc here. I begin with a result of experimenting with Wings’ Manifoldlab version’s ‘subtract++’ boolean tool. The idea of using this tool for making hard surface objects constituted by nicely beveled parts came to me from a very clever plugin that has been developed very recently (the ‘hard ops’ plugin) for Blender.

All the modeling has been done in Wings. Only the main rounded cube body has been imported from Blender. The staging and rendering too is totally worked out in Blender.

As it is clearly evident the booleans in Wings-Manifoldlab can be of great use in hard surface modeling tasks. Hope that the present post will act as an inspiration to other users too for finding ways to harvest their power.

No need to say, all the constructive comments are welcome…

[Image: Machine_mesh_send_zpsbgm1rog3.jpg]

[Image: Machine_a_send_zpsbgm7o3xm.png]

[Image: Machine_a_backview_send_zpsp1fuj3ua.png]

[Image: Machine_analyzed_ab_send_zpstrg5av5k.png]

[Image: Machine_analyzed_ab_backview_send_zpsoz3lxwwc.png]

RE: Working with Wings... - cyseal - 02-01-2016

Great, so this is only carved with a single mesh, cube I suppose ?

I would like to make:

RE: Working with Wings... - ggaliens - 02-01-2016

cyseal ... Just do it !

RE: Working with Wings... - Dimitri - 02-01-2016

Cyseal yes, it is 'carved' from a single cube... only some very small details have been made with insets, extrusions etc. But have in mind that this approach works mainly with cornered shapes. The curved shapes are made with dense meshes (highly subdivided meshes), so there is the problem of undesired intersections with the cutting objects' meshes. This is not a problem of Wings of course, it is a general problem regarding boolean operations. This exactly is the reason, besides, that the booleans still remain as a not so much preferred way in modeling. But, anyway, they are quite useful in some kind of modeling undertakings and there someone can achieve astonishing results.

Go try... this is the best way of learning what can be done with them. : - )

RE: Working with Wings... - olve11 - 02-01-2016

Wonderful work

RE: Working with Wings... - micheus - 02-02-2016

Nice job Dimitri.
Good to see some of you work here. Smile

RE: Working with Wings... - Dimitri - 02-02-2016

Thanks all for commenting... a good word is always an encouraging offer. : - )

RE: Working with Wings... - Marcin Maćkowiak - 02-04-2016

Nice and smooth Smile

RE: Working with Wings... - kenmo - 02-09-2016

Cool stuff...

RE: Working with Wings... - Dimitri - 02-11-2016

Marcin and Kenmo thanks for commenting...

I am putting below another render of my 'dreamy flowers'. The rendering has been done with Cycles, in Blender. The mesh views can be found in a previous post here, in the 'gallery' section of the forum...

[Image: Floating%20flower_lilac_send_zpsvlvur0xy.png]

And here a Turkish tea theme... with its mesh view. Both the renderings has been made in Blender (the mesh rendering too). The modelling is always in Wings, of course:

[Image: Turkish%20tea_send_zpsxzjd3s2d.jpg]

[Image: Turkish%20tea_wire_send_zpsjpig5lgi.jpg]