Wings 3D Development Forum
Differences in obj export between versions? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Differences in obj export between versions? (/showthread.php?tid=2166)

Differences in obj export between versions? - fencepost52 - 10-06-2016

I don't know if this qualifies as an actual bug, but I've noticed strange behavior between obj files generated by versions 1.5.3 and 1.5.4/and newer, unstable versions.

I use Bryce for rendering my models. Bryce always smooths a model upon import, which is what it should do, and each time the file is opened, the model should be smooth unless un-smoothed by the user. While using versions 1.5.4 and above, the model comes in smooth as intended, but each time the Bryce file is opened thereafter, the model is un-smooth. I tested models from 1.5.3 and they do not have this issue.

Was there a change in how obj files are generated between versions?

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if you need more information.

Cheers!

Art

RE: Differences in obj export between versions? - dgud - 10-14-2016

I checked this and from what I can see the exporters is untouched since 2009 (wings-1.1.9).
So that is strange, and something else might have changed, but is more difficult to find.

I have just fixed the normal exports in collada (dae), so maybe you can use that format instead?

RE: Differences in obj export between versions? - fencepost52 - 10-15-2016

Thanks for looking into this. I *think* I may have discovered the problem. I had 2 versions of Wings installed on my system at the same time. Once I went removed one of the versions, everything works as it should. Models created when 2 versions were installed still unsmooth themselves. Not sure why this happens, but at least it's *resolved*. Thanks again.

Art

RE: Differences in obj export between versions? - dgud - 10-16-2016

Maybe Mark had changed something in Manifolds labs plugin version of wings?

RE: Differences in obj export between versions? - fencepost52 - 10-16-2016

No, I didn't have the Manifolds lab version installed. It was an unstable release with a regular release. Was trying out the new features.

Couple of off-topic questions.

Is the manifold site down? Every time I try to go to the site, I get a "freely-donate.html" file that automatically downloads to my system.

Is there a way to donate to the Wings cause? I like the program and would like to give a little bit to the developers in appreciation.

Thanks, Art

RE: Differences in obj export between versions? - dgud - 10-16-2016

Thanks for your offer.

Björn pays for the site and don't want any money, I still have a day time job so I manage
(and the tax system in Sweden is a mess).
I'll let Micheus speak for himself.

If I ever need some money for hardware or license I will put up a donation link on the front page, so remember your offer i.e. if I get fired in a month or so.. :-)

Also we code because it is fun, sometimes I loose interest and a take a break for a half/year or so. Now my kids have grown up so I have more spare time again and it have been fun for the last year.

If you really really want to by me a beer, you can use paypal dangud (a) gmail.com

Manifold lab is ggaliens project, he comes and goes..