Wings 3D Development Forum
Wings3D crashes after trying to insert any object - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Wings3D crashes after trying to insert any object (/showthread.php?tid=2167)

Wings3D crashes after trying to insert any object - Beetle - 10-09-2016

Hello Guys,
I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and downloaded to the file wings-1.5.4-linux.bzip2.run from the Wings3D homepage. After installing it into the standard folder and start it with ./wings I got the standard screen.

There I only right-click to insert any object like cube or sphere the program crashed with following output:

---------------------------------------------------cut------------------------------------
~/wings-1.5.4$ ./wings
Trying OpenGL modes
[{buffer_size,32},{depth_size,32},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,24},{depth_size,32},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,24},{depth_size,24},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,24},{depth_size,24},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,16},{depth_size,24},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,16},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,16},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,16},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,0}]
[{buffer_size,15},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,15},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,15},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,0}]
[{buffer_size,0},{depth_size,0},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,0}]

###########################################

Failed to find any suitable OpenGL mode.

Make sure that OpenGL drivers are installed.

###########################################

Retrying with multisampling disabled.
Trying OpenGL modes
[{buffer_size,32},{depth_size,32},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,24},{depth_size,32},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
[{buffer_size,24},{depth_size,24},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
Actual: RGBA: 8 8 8 8 Depth: 24 Stencil: 8 Accum: 16 16 16 16
Using GPU shaders.
beam.smp: ../../../../../../../src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_eu_emit.c:267: validate_reg: Assertion `execsize >= width' failed.
---------------------------------------------------cut------------------------------------

And I am pretty sure that I am running with OpenGL.

If there is any idea or hint please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Beetle

RE: Wings3D crashes after trying to insert any object - dgud - 10-10-2016

You have opengl drivers because it crashes in them:
beam.smp: ../../../../../../../src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_eu_emit.c:267: validate_reg: Assertion `execsize >= width' failed.

But I can't help you more than that, something is broken in the drivers or wings are using opengl in the wrong way, but since it works for most of the other users, I presume that it is the drivers for intel that have some bug somewhere.

RE: Wings3D crashes after trying to insert any object - Beetle - 10-10-2016

ok, thanks, nice reply to that...

RE: Wings3D crashes after trying to insert any object - dgud - 10-10-2016

Not sure if you are ironic or not. My answer above might not have been the best help in world
and English is not my first language.

The thing is I can't do much about failures in graphics drivers, for the first I didn't write them
and I don't know much about writing graphic card drivers so it's hard for me to fix them.
Also I don't think it is my problem and I have my own bugs and problems to solve.
I don't have the problem you are having so I can't guess at what is causing your problem, which
makes it rather impossible to fix it in Wings if it is Wings that is doing something wrong.

Until version 2.0.5, Wings OpenGL have been the more or less the same for the last 15 years which have
worked rather well for most people, expect for old buggy Intel drivers and some occasional problem in certain versions on Nvidia and Amd. So I'm convinced that most of wings code handling OpenGL is correct.

There are things you could try, testing different versions of graphic-drivers for your card, upgrade Ubuntu to something later and hope Wings works. If there exists a Intel binary driver supplied by Intel
they might be better than the mesa (opensource) driver you use today.

You can test if the developer release wings-2.0.5 works any better, it uses OpenGL slightly different
and hope that you don't hit that code path that is causing the bug, or you can wait until I release the next
developer release of Wings that uses OpenGL in more different way and might work.

Intel's 3D drivers have not been good on Windows but become better these days, I don't know their status on Linux but the above says me that they are not so good.
Or you can buy a Nvidia card, normally have the best OpenGL drivers, or an Amd card, that is made for 3D graphics and provide good drivers for Linux and Windows, in my experience AMD have not worked as good on Linux but it was a long time ago I used one.