Wings 3D Development Forum
Removing default AutoUV texture... - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Removing default AutoUV texture... (/showthread.php?tid=2236)

Removing default AutoUV texture... - kugelfang - 11-15-2016

Using Wings-2.1.3 as of about an hour ago.

Is it possible to override the assigning of default abcd texture in the AutoUV window?

I intentionally want materials that do NOT have a texture assigned. I don't care about the textures right now. I'm exporting the model to *.obj format then converting the UV coordinates to SVG in order to print foldable card models of the 3d models. It's already a labor intensive process getting non-distorted UVs with a lot of splitting and stitching going on. I know it's not what Wings (or even UV coords) was designed for but I'm exploring here--Wings has the potential to make card modelling very enjoyable. Unfortunately, with the newer versions of Wings it appears to be an even more labor intensive process than it was with earlier versions.

The newer version(s?) of Wings insists on assigning the abcd texture to materials that have no defined texture. For me, all this accomplishes that that it makes it more difficult to edit the UV coordinates in the AutoUV window. With the new window set up I don't see any way to hide the display of the abcd texture in the AutoUV window. This feature was available in earlier versions. If I delete the auvBG texture from the Outliner it clears it from the AutoUV window. But only temporarily. The next time I open the AutoUV window for the same object (or any object), Wings recreates the auvBG texture and reassigns it to the object material.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

--jeff

RE: Removing default AutoUV texture... - micheus - 11-15-2016

(11-15-2016, 04:28 PM)kugelfang Wrote: With the new window set up I don't see any way to hide the display of the abcd texture in the AutoUV window. This feature was available in earlier versions. If I delete the auvBG texture from the Outliner it clears it from the AutoUV window. But only temporarily. The next time I open the AutoUV window for the same object (or any object), Wings recreates the auvBG texture and reassigns it to the object material.

Suggestions?
Yeah, I know that. It's something we lost when changing to the new UI implementation.

Not the best suggestion, but at least you can play with the UV mesh without see the ABCD texture. As you don't care, just create a default texture using the background (color white).
It can be reassign to any other object in your scene and you can remove it at the end of your work before export it.

RE: Removing default AutoUV texture... - dgud - 11-15-2016

From outliner:
Select by material, (the new autouv material)
RMB default material and assign to selection

Hopefully it's clear and works, had a couple of beers tonight and should not be posting here, cheers :-D