Wings 3D Development Forum
[fixed] Materials and quick smoothed preview - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [fixed] Materials and quick smoothed preview (/showthread.php?tid=2402)

Pages: 1 2

[fixed] Materials and quick smoothed preview - KrisBee - 02-15-2017

So this has been bugging me for quite a while now: When ever you have a single object with more than one material assigned to it and you turn on the quick smooth, only some of the edges are visible on the mesh. Specifically, the edges on the material that is listed alphabetically first in the outliner window.

Example:

Object X has has materials A and B assigned to it.
I turn on quick smooth.
Only edges with material A are visible.

Is there a workaround that I'm not aware of? Is this a bug or a feature?

RE: Materials and quick smoothed preview - tkbd - 02-15-2017

Assigned two textured materials on one object.
I switching between various display modes many times,and finaly reproduced the bug.
Toggle Quick smoothed preview, The edge display on the surface of a specific material remained.
Thats right?

Unfortunaty,I don't remember how to combination/order of display mode cause it. Sad

But I found a way to this avoid.
KrisBee,Please tell me your preference setting.
In particular...Preference dialog > Misc > Proxy mode > Shaded Mode Edge Style (Pull down menu).

if the setting is "All Edges" ,It maybe the bug occur.
Change it to "Cage" or "Some Edges" the bug not occur.
It was so in my environment.

I hope your problem will solve.

Wings3D has Proxy display,Work mode, smooth display,Edge display and QuickSmooth for object display mode.
These display modes are complicated and it is difficult to figure out what is currently in effect Sad

RE: Materials and quick smoothed preview - KrisBee - 02-15-2017

I have mine set to "All edges". Setting it to "Cage" or "Some edges" prevents me from seeing any edges other than the ones present before smoothing, which doesn't really help as I'm interested in seeing the edge behavior after smoothing.

I really can't figure this one out as I've tried every combination of settings and display/work modes I can think of.

RE: Materials and quick smoothed preview - micheus - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 12:22 PM)KrisBee Wrote: Setting it to "Cage" or "Some edges" prevents me from seeing any edges other than the ones present before smoothing, which doesn't really help as I'm interested in seeing the edge behavior after smoothing.
It seems like you wanted to use the All Edges options. See bellow:
[Image: cages_zps33dd0628.png]
This sphere has four materials and I was in Face [F] selection mode.

Yea, but that's not what I'm seeing. It works with the color palette, but not with actual materials.

Are you using the latest version 2.1.5?
Try to use the attached test file I used - just to discard any other project particularity.

I mainly use 1.5.4, but it works the same in 2.1.5 for me even with your sample file.

...and are you using a Intel video card?

There is another thing that you can try. In the same tab in Preferences you found the Proxy Mode settings you have a group box "Edge display problems?" with some values you can play with. I have to admit it can be a lottery.Huh

As a reference, check the settings used by another user (Anthony) to workaround a similar issue: http://www.wings3d.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1090&pid=6673#pid6673

I have an Nvidia gtx970. I've tried adjusting the edge thickness an offset values, but they have no effect on the issue.

(02-15-2017, 01:59 PM)KrisBee Wrote: I have an Nvidia gtx970. I've tried adjusting the edge thickness an offset values, but they have no effect on the issue.
That's bad. I cannot think about anything you could try.