Wings 3D Development Forum
Preferences.txt File location - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Preferences.txt File location (/showthread.php?tid=2411)

Preferences.txt File location - oort - 02-18-2017

I am playing with three different versions of Wings3D right now. It would be nice if the Preferences.txt file could be saved in the same folder as the Wings3d.Exe file. Maybe this is not possible with Windows permissions the way they are these days???

The reason it is a problem is that settings in Wings1.4.1 and others are not always compatible with newer versions. Maybe the Preferences file could be named specific to the version??? Preferences 1.4.1.txt, Preferences 2.1.5.txt, etc. Maybe a setting could be added in Edit Preferences to choose a name and location for the Preferences.txt file.

Just putting some ideas out there... Smile

Thanks,
oort

RE: Preferences.txt File location - micheus - 02-19-2017

(02-18-2017, 08:28 PM)oort Wrote: if the Preferences.txt file could be saved in the same folder as the Wings3d.Exe file. Maybe this is not possible with Windows permissions the way they are these days???
Yes, that would be a problem. But, if you install Wings3d in another directory than C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) (or any other system folder) you will not have this problem.

You have also the option to create different shortcut and indicate the use of a preference file for it.
(06-02-2014, 11:47 PM)micheus Wrote:
Quote:Can I run Wings with kind of additional parameter, debug or something "safe mode"?
Yeah. You can try start wings by the command line so you will have the Erlang console back. Maybe it can stays opened after the crash and you can see any message on it.

Use the windows Prompt console for that (cmd.exe) and enter a line like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\wings3d_1.5.3\bin\werl.exe" -run wings start_halt -extra "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming"

I used the directory for the current preferences file, but you can use any other as you can see in the dgud's post.

(02-18-2017, 08:28 PM)oort Wrote: Maybe a setting could be added in Edit Preferences to choose a name and location for the Preferences.txt file.
File->Save Preferences Subset/Load Preferences Subset - Couldn't they help with this?

RE: Preferences.txt File location - oort - 02-19-2017

Micheus,
Thanks for the information. I did a quick test and it seems that using the "Save Preferences Subset" is the solution to my problem. Funny I never played with that feature before. I will have to test it more fully next week.

FYI... It was my Yafaray and TheBounty plugin settings that I was having issues with. I am using different versions of the Rendering softwares in the different versions of Wings3D... I was having to configure (Edit > Plugin Preferences) the plugin every time I switched to a different version of Wings3D. Now I can simply load a different Preference Subset depending on which version of Wings3D I am using.

I guess in a perfect world Wings3D would remember to load a specific subset when running a specific version of Wings3D but I can live with the way it is now... Smile

Thanks!,
oort