Wings 3D Development Forum
Wings 2.2.4 release - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Wings 2.2.4 release (/showthread.php?tid=2811)

Pages: 1 2

Wings 2.2.4 release - dgud - 04-12-2019

--- 2.2.4 --------------------------------------------

- Fixed View/Show Texture bug. [dgud]

- Fixed transparent rendering. [dgud]

- Added a fail-safe if OpenCL crashes during start,
which will disable OpenCL for future runs. [dgud]

- Select by Material in Outliner window was not working in accord when in
body selection mode. Thanks Hank. [micheus]

- Fixed some ui color settings. [micheus]

Enjoy, marked this as a stable release.

RE: Wings 2.2.4 release - Agent-0013 - 08-28-2019

Can we see a rundown of the specs for 2.2.4, with an inclusion of the new tools and features added, as well as how they work?

I tried looking for these things on this website, to no avail. Back when I first got Wings 3D (Version 1.4.1 I think), there was a page that provide these types of info. Now I cannot find them at all, for any of the releases.

Thanks in advance for whatever you can provide.

RE: Wings 2.2.4 release - micheus - 08-28-2019

When you install Wings3D you should to find a README-xx.txt which contains all release's history. Anyway, you can read it here: https://github.com/dgud/wings/blob/master/README-22.txt
Then you can know what is new and what was bug-fix.

Wings3D is under a review which started in v2.0 with the implementation of new UI, inclusion of support to PBR materials and code optimization (still in progress). These things has been done in steps to avoid to break the program.
So, the current version is more stable, but we still have some minor issues to fix, but we always need the user's feedback in order to know about them. Smile

RE: Wings 2.2.4 release - Agent-0013 - 09-12-2019

Thanks for your reply, and the link to the changes and fixes.

While I registered in 2018, I have actually been using Wings 3D since version 1.4.1, which was a fairly stable version for its time. I upgraded twice before the new UI was implemented. When the new UI was implemented, I was happy to see that the erlang thingy was integrated in a way that did not occupy a separate window. The one I have currently is 2.1.5, which is the most stable version I have found so far. I have not yet tried anything beyond 2.1.7, as it and its predecessor were causing constant crashes. I could not get any of my projects completed.

This is the reason I wanted to learn more about the latest release. I think sticking with the version that is working well for me is prudent; but if the new version is working well, I most certainly wish to upgrade to it. Having the information concerning that specific version will help me decide whether or not to download it and install it. The link you provided will help with that. I think I will download it and give it a good try, but I will keep my current version installed until I know the new one is good enough to replace it.

Again, I thank you.
Cheers!

RE: Wings 2.2.4 release - micheus - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 08:25 AM)Agent-0013 Wrote: I think I will download it and give it a good try, but I will keep my current version installed until I know the new one is good enough to replace it.
JFYI, it's possible to keep many Wings3D versions installed and working. Since you already is in v2.* you even don't need to care about the changes to preferences file which would be a problem if you were still in v1.4.

So, keep the old version you are happy with and try the new one until you be confident with it. Wink

RE: Wings 2.2.4 release - Agent-0013 - 09-17-2019

OK I have 2.2.4 installed, and created a model using it. I explored some of the changes and new features somewhat, and can say that I am liking a lot of what I am seeing.

Top of my like list is the new Boolean Test tool. I will need a bit of instruction on how to get the most out of it, as certain parts of it seem to be inactive at this time. The reason this excites me is because I've used the feature in other programs, like Blender and Bryce 7.1 Pro. In both of those programs the Boolean operations work fairly well. I am on the edge of my seat as I wait for this to become fully active in Wings 3D.

The new Materials Palette in my opinion is a bit of an improvement; however, it does seem a bit incomplete also. In the older 2.1.5 the palette allows for the use of color in each of four channels, and has sliders for sheen (Specularity) and Visibility (Transparency). OK so the Transparency is still available, but the Specularity one is gone. In 2.2.4 only two channels can have color, and you affect those channels with the sliders provided. Now the reflectivity that can be applied to parts of a model is awesome, however, the second color channel has to be rather dark in color to keep the surface from looking washed out. I'd like to see this feature continue to be improved in a direction that allows for more to be done with it. Not all surfaces need to be reflective or metalic.

RE: Wings 2.2.4 release - micheus - 09-17-2019

(09-17-2019, 04:33 AM)Agent-0013 Wrote: Top of my like list is the new Boolean Test tool. I will need a bit of instruction on how to get the most out of it, as certain parts of it seem to be inactive at this time.
I'm not sure about what means the "certain parts of it seem to be inactive at this time". The main limitation is related to use of coplanar faces in these operations. In cases like that subdivide the object/face can be used as a workaround.
There is a small reference guide about it in our How To session: Boolean command usage (2.2.1)

Quote:The new Materials Palette in my opinion is a bit of an improvement; however, it does seem a bit incomplete also. In the older 2.1.5 the palette allows for the use of color in each of four channels, and has sliders for sheen (Specularity) and Visibility (Transparency). OK so the Transparency is still available, but the Specularity one is gone. In 2.2.4 only two channels can have color, and you affect those channels with the sliders provided. Now the reflectivity that can be applied to parts of a model is awesome, however, the second color channel has to be rather dark in color to keep the surface from looking washed out. I'd like to see this feature continue to be improved in a direction that allows for more to be done with it. Not all surfaces need to be reflective or metalic.
I recommend you to check the thread I create to prepare the people for the new material settings: Be ready for PBR (check the links I shared there too Smile). Wings3D is now covering the basics maps and settings needed for PBR materials used by any other modern 3D app.
What is pending yet is a window to allow us to change the environment light, but we can use a workaround - post.

RE: Wings 2.2.4 release - Agent-0013 - 09-18-2019

Just got through UV mapping a model, and did the Create Texture step. The UV Window shows the white background of the map and the sections of mesh representing the model, but there is no way to export the map!

Am I missing something here? I searched all of the menus to see if there might be a new way to export the map; even the File menu. All I am seeing is the UV Window image. If I have to enlarge that and do a screenshot to get a UV map for my models, that is taking away from the quality of said UV maps. I like the old UV mapping system, and I would like to see it restored. Not being able to export the map is frustrating. That is an important part of my workflow.

Also it seems odd that there is the ability to UV map your models, but not be able to make use of the work you do UV mapping to make textures. Why remove the Export UV feature if you don't remove the UV mapping feature altogether?

It is now beginning to appear that 2.2.4 is even more broken than the last version I tried, 2.1.7! The UV mapping problem is a really big problem for me, which I think needs fixing ASAP!

Sorry about the rant, but that is how I feel about this.

RE: Wings 2.2.4 release - dgud - 09-18-2019

You can export your images/textures from the outliner

RE: Wings 2.2.4 release - micheus - 09-18-2019

(09-18-2019, 03:48 AM)Agent-0013 Wrote: Sorry about the rant, but that is how I feel about this.
I think you are getting "stressed" without to need. If you haven't followed the forum since v2.1.7 it's natural you missed something and you may need to learn something new or discover about some changes that was made in this meantime. Be patient. Smile

I don't remember if we could export from inside of AutoUV window, but the changes were not so deep in which is related to the basic operations. Exporting a image created by AutoUV the way dgud showed to you isn't new - it was there since long time and still is there on the Outliner window. You must to find the image you just created (usually the material name followed by "_auv" and using the context menu (RMB, as we use in many other parts of Wings3d) choose the option "Make External". You should now choose a name and file type. Paint it with your favorite image editor and - after save - update it inside Wings3D just using the context menu option "Refresh" (in case you didn't have closed it).