Wings 3D Development Forum
I´m searching for a md3 plugin - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: I´m searching for a md3 plugin (/showthread.php?tid=332)

Pages: 1 2

I´m searching for a md3 plugin - blizzart88 - 06-05-2013

Hello everybody,
is there any plugin to export from Wings3D to id´s md3 format? I found something in the SVN, but don´t know what I shall do with this code.

It would be nice, if someone could help me.

RE: I´m searching for a md3 plugin - oort - 06-06-2013

blizzart88,
I see that in the source files for Wings 1.4.1 the wpc_md3.erl is listed under plugins_src\import_export. If it were added to the list at the top of the MakeFile in that same folder I think it would compile.

It may have been removed because it was not working??? I don't know. Does anyone know why it was removed?

oort

RE: I´m searching for a md3 plugin - micheus - 06-06-2013

(06-06-2013, 03:55 PM)oort Wrote: It may have been removed because it was not working???
I found this old post by dgud.
blizzart88, maybe it could be compiled and then you would verify if it is working - without guaranties and support. Smile

oort, can you still build it for 1.4.1?

I compiled it and it shows up in the export options but nothing is being exported when I try with a uv mapped cube. When I compile there are three errors.
106 Warning: record md3_triangle is unused
114 Warning: record md3_vertex is unused
687 Warning: binary/1 obsolete

Probably why it is not working and why it is no longer included. I can try to figure it out but no guarantees... Sad

oort

(06-06-2013, 05:19 PM)oort Wrote: 106 Warning: record md3_triangle is unused
114 Warning: record md3_vertex is unused
687 Warning: binary/1 obsolete
The two first are structure definition suggest. That's really strange they have been defined but never used. Dodgy
The last one I think it should be replaced with something like that below, since cname/1 is always been called with a binary parameter in the entire code:
Code:
cname(Bin) ->
    cn(binary_to_list(Bin)).

Micheus,
Funny, I came up with the same code fix for the 687 warning. It got rid of the compile error but didn't fix the other two errors. I wonder if this is something that someone started but never finished???

Thanks,
oort

(06-06-2013, 09:04 PM)oort Wrote: It got rid of the compile error but didn't fix the other two errors.
For the other two you can just comment that declarations or remove them.

Quote:I wonder if this is something that someone started but never finished???
I checked the git repository and it seems that who started it was giniu (7 year ago). As he was around here last year, then I sent him a PM.

After a lot of searching on the web I finally found a program that would let me save a file as .md3. Yes, I could have used Blender but didn't feel like messing with Blender... Smile

Misfit Model 3D

The program is open source but no longer being developed. You have to use the latest development version to be able to save as .md3. Add .md3 to the file name to save in that format.

I was able to import that file into Wings3D with the plug-in. UV textures did not import.... Sad

Maybe giniu only got that far. It will be interesting if he responds.

Thanks,
oort

RE: I´m searching for a md3 plugin - blizzart88 - 06-08-2013

Thanks for your replies, guys.
I didn´t expected so much help with this issue here.
I hope I understand you, oort. I have to save the file in Wings3D and then open it in Misfit Model 3D or did I get you completly wrong?

RE: I´m searching for a md3 plugin - oort - 06-09-2013

blizzart88,
I was just wanting to test the plugin to see if it was possible to import .md3 files with it. I just used Misfit Model 3D to convert a .obj file to a .md3 file to test importing, since I didn't have any .md3 files to test with. Import support seems to work but it is limited to only importing the geometry without textures.

For now, it looks like you will have to export your Wings3D files as .obj and use Misfit Model 3D to convert them to .md3.

oort