Wings 3D Development Forum
Multi-Selection after Deselect - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Multi-Selection after Deselect (/showthread.php?tid=353)

Multi-Selection after Deselect - CobraMode - 06-17-2013

I'd like wings to never use the multi-select mode it goes into after deselecting, or after deselecting twice with "conditional deselection"

I developed a bad habit back in really old versions of wings, where I compulsively deselect things to be sure I'm only modifying what I want. Frequently while I'm modeling, i'll deselect, and then check out the model from a few angles, and deselect again, forgetting I had already deselected, and then start trying to make my selection, and I select the wrong thing, because I'm in the multi-select mode.

RE: Multi-Selection after Deselect - oort - 06-18-2013

CobraMode,
Just don't forget you already deselected... Smile Just kidding as I tend to forget as well... Smile Sad

It has been so long since I have used an older version.... before multi-select mode was made standard. Didn't you have to tell Wings3D what selection mode to use in older versions??? You can still just tell Wings3D what mode to use by hitting V,E,or F after deselecting once or twice.

Edit: I found I had an older version of Wings3D on my computer.... I see that in older versions that after a selection mode (V,E,F) was selected that mode remained active until another mode was selected....so now you have to tell Wings3D what mode to use again every time you deselect twice. Do you tend to use the same selection mode without changing? Maybe someone could add the ability to lock into specific selection modes??? I would think that most users switch modes quite often???

oort

RE: Multi-Selection after Deselect - duaneram - 01-21-2014

I have to agree with Cobra, I too find this quite annoying. I'm got used to it in the early (before the 1.2 days) and getting rid of this habit hasn't been fruitful... yet.
six pack shortcuts

RE: Multi-Selection after Deselect - CobraMode - 01-21-2014

Oh, I forgot to check this message. Yes! I'd like it to work like the old version, where your current selection mode is always retained. I do switch modes often, but I always remember my last selection mode, and I used to just model with the icons on top hidden, because I always knew which mode I was in. Now, sadly, I frequently don't know i'm in multiselect until it's too late. I just want to disable multiselect entirely.

I'd even be ok with only disabling multi select during deselect or conditional deselect, but retaining multi select when you perform an operation along a vector. I mean, if that was for some reason easier to implement. I can deal with multiselect when choosing a vector.

RE: Multi-Selection after Deselect - micheus - 01-22-2014

how about the preferences option Highlighting->Conditional Deselection (checked)?

You will be in mult-selection until you enter in a mode. After that, a first deselection (hitting space bar) will preserve the mode selected, but only if you hit the space bar a second time you will be back to multi-selection mode. Try it.

RE: Multi-Selection after Deselect - CobraMode - 01-22-2014

(01-22-2014, 12:26 AM)micheus Wrote: how about the preferences option Highlighting->Conditional Deselection (checked)?

You will be in mult-selection until you enter in a mode. After that, a first deselection (hitting space bar) will preserve the mode selected, but only if you hit the space bar a second time you will be back to multi-selection mode. Try it.

I mentioned that in both of my posts.

Edit: It's even in the first line of the first post.

RE: Multi-Selection after Deselect - micheus - 01-22-2014

(01-22-2014, 12:36 AM)CobraMode Wrote: I mentioned that in both of my posts.
yeah, I see now. I don't use to read the posts before one I have posted. Blush

RE: Multi-Selection after Deselect - CobraMode - 01-22-2014

I should also have said thank you for mentioning it. I know you were trying to help Smile

I dislike the feature so much, that I got aggressive!