Wings 3D Development Forum
crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing (/showthread.php?tid=436)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - quadf - 10-20-2013

I've noticed that Wings3d crashes quite easily and quickly when smoothing objects.

This is how I can reproduce it every single time:
1. add a cube
2. go into body mode
3. select the cube
4. smooth it a few times
This can take 1-6 smooth operations before it crashes. Sometimes it only takes 1-3 for the cube.

I can always reproduce this.

hardware: nvidia GPU,
wings3d: wings3d 64 1.5.1 & snapshot

Please let me know if I can obtain debugging information somehow.

edit: It looks like enabling and disabling quick smoothed preview fixes the issue until the program is restarted.

RE: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - dgud - 10-23-2013

What do you mean with crashes as in crashes and window disappear or do you get a long error
report in the console window?

Do you use OpenCL to preview multiple subdivision levels?
Does it happpen when you are NOT in smooth preview mode?

RE: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - quadf - 10-24-2013

(10-23-2013, 08:47 AM)dgud Wrote: What do you mean with crashes as in crashes and window disappear or do you get a long error
report in the console window?

Do you use OpenCL to preview multiple subdivision levels?
Does it happpen when you are NOT in smooth preview mode?

I don't get any long error in the console. It's just saying "erl.exe has stopped working". It's the classic error window you get on Windows 7 when an app crashes.
The console is just displaying the text it always displays after starting wings.

I can reproduce it consistently. I'm not using opencl if it's not somehow enabled by default. Please let me know if I can provide any other information.

Please take a look at the attached screenshot. Is there something I can do to get a stacktrace or some more debugging output?

Edit: undoing after subdividing up to ~190.000 polygons seems to crash it most of the time. It might somehow be related to undoing.

Edit 2: toggling show edges / show backfaces seems to fix the issue sometimes. I'm not sure what's the problem. I'll try to record the screen, maybe that'll help.

RE: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - micheus - 10-24-2013

There is a memory limit cor the 32bits application - I think you know about.
Wings3d can reach it easy if you smooth so many times an object.

Please check this thread and download the real 64bits version.

Anyway, just a tip: you should not need to use so high level of smoot. You can do that when you export. Remember that undo data uses memory space too.
If you have opencl support you can use it for the smoot preview.

RE: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - quadf - 10-25-2013

(10-24-2013, 08:13 PM)micheus Wrote: There is a memory limit cor the 32bits application - I think you know about.

Please check this thread and download the real 64bits version.

Anyway, just a tip: you should not need to use so high level of smoot. You can do that when you export. Remember that undo data uses memory space too.
If you have opencl support you can use it for the smoot preview.

micheus: Thank you for the suggestion. It looks like it's not necessarily related to the number of subdivision levels.
Activating opencl seems to have fixed the crashes. It looks like it's more stable now.

I'm also using the real 64bit Wings3d version now.

However, there's still a problem. I know I've used to go up to ~96000 polygons and Wings3d wasn't crashing. This doesn't always happen and it's not always with that many polygons.

If it's not a real bug or if it's something wrong with what I'm doing, I'll do everything I can to avoid running into the issue.

Thank you for the help and for the advice.

RE: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - micheus - 10-25-2013

(10-25-2013, 07:40 PM)quadf Wrote: It looks like it's not necessarily related to the number of subdivision levels.
Activating opencl seems to have fixed the crashes. It looks like it's more stable now.
By using OpenCL for preview in high smooth levels you 'll using less memory. (one of them - you don't store undo data for it)

There is many things that make it not deterministic. You would like to see this old thread.

RE: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - dgud - 10-25-2013

Opencl should make it more unstable not the other way around. :-)
So I could understand if that was the problem, opencl drivers are still a bit shaky.
But the actual drawing of meshes have not changed much.
I will do some testing and see what happens here, i have mostly struggled with the opencl smooth preview code.

RE: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - Stem - 10-27-2013

(10-24-2013, 08:13 PM)micheus Wrote: There is a memory limit cor the 32bits application - I think you know about.

Smoothing(sub-d) a cube 5 times should not be hitting memory limit. If it was, then there is a serious issue with wings, as 5 levels of smoothing on a cube is only creating 6144 polygons, and actually using (in 1.4.1) 84mb of memory.

Werl.exe and erl.exe are, by default, LAA (Large Address Aware), so even at 32bit, they can use(if available) approx 3.5GB of memory.
Having a quick check of the OP crash, I see the same crash, but certainly not a problem due to lack of memory.

I have seen many crashes in a few hours of use with the new 1.5.1 version (both 32bit and 64bit), but the crash(s) are unpredictable and unrepeatable (apart from the one mentioned by OP), and there is no dump created(just the windows error popup forcing the close of erl.exe), so no way to accurately report a bug.

Windows 7 64
GTX 580

RE: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - Stem - 10-27-2013

(10-25-2013, 08:33 PM)dgud Wrote: But the actual drawing of meshes have not changed much.

What dependency is there for the C++ 2010?

On checking on win Xp 32, I can get wings 1.5.1 to crash when sud_d a cube to high levels, but it crashes due to module "msvcr100.dll"(C++ 2010 redistribution).
On win7 64, the C++ 2010 currently installed is of a later version than what is being shipped with wings.

RE: crash with snapshot & 1.5.1 when smoothing - dgud - 10-31-2013

I of course lied, the whole bottom layer have changed to use threads, it was so long time ago
that I had forgotten about it.

It crashes for me to (nvidia), and with debug builds, but it doesn't makes sense (so far).
Testing it on my son's computer with and AMD/ATI card does not crash it either.