Wings 3D Development Forum
[solved] OpenCL not working - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [solved] OpenCL not working (/showthread.php?tid=493)

Pages: 1 2

[solved] OpenCL not working - Siber - 11-30-2013

I used the 1.5.1 preview builds for their OpenCL proxy mode, and those builds still function in that respect. However, both 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 versions claim OpenCL isn't available, with the following console output.

Code:
Trying OpenGL modes
  [{buffer_size,32},{depth_size,32},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
Actual: RGBA: 8 8 8 0 Depth: 24 Stencil: 8 Accum: 16 16 16 16
Using GPU shaders.
CL setup error: undef [{cl,start,[],[]},
                       {clu,setup,1,[{file,"src/clu.erl"},{line,47}]},
                       {wings_cl,setup,0,[{file,"wings_cl.erl"},{line,48}]},
                       {wings_cc,cl_setup_1,0,
                                 [{file,"wings_cc.erl"},{line,662}]},
                       {wings_cc,cl_setup,0,
                                 [{file,"wings_cc.erl"},{line,651}]},
                       {wings_cc,subdiv,2,[{file,"wings_cc.erl"},{line,127}]},
                       {wings_cc,gen_vab,1,[{file,"wings_cc.erl"},{line,95}]},
                       {wings_proxy,create_proxy_cc,3,
                                    [{file,"wings_proxy.erl"},{line,368}]}]

RE: OpenCL not working - dgud - 12-02-2013

Which OS and Wings version 32 or 64b?

RE: OpenCL not working - Siber - 12-02-2013

Windows 7 Ultimate N, 64bit, and 64bit wings.

RE: OpenCL not working - dgud - 12-03-2013

Video card?

The 64b doesn't work for me either (nvidia) but it works on my sons computer with an AMD card.
So I thought that it was my setup on this computer that was broken, i.e. nvidia's developer tools did something strange to my setup.

Have you installed OpenCL libraries yourself or are you just using the drivers from you card manufacturer?

The 64b release is built on my work computer with an Intel card, so maybe something clashes.

Also can you install and test if the 32b wings works?

The problem is probably that Nvidia have not released an OpenCL-1.2 driver yet, two years old.
Sigh I bought a Nvidia card because they have better drivers.
I don't really know how to solve this or even verify my suspicions.

RE: OpenCL not working - Siber - 12-03-2013

Nvidia yeah, GeForce GTX 560 SE. Haven't installed any developer tools or libraries manually that I recall, and haven't updated my drivers for it either, now that you mention it, but openCL does work when I use the 32Bit version of the releases. I suppose the development snapshots I was using were 32b, probably.

RE: OpenCL not working - micheus - 12-03-2013

(12-03-2013, 06:20 PM)dgud Wrote: The problem is probably that Nvidia have not released an OpenCL-1.2 driver yet, two years old.
yeah, NVidia is still supporting the first version in accord with the Toolkit 4.2 doc for OpenCL:
Quote:Copyright © 2005-2012 by NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

OpenCL Implementation Notes
===========================
This document describes the "Implementation Defined" behavior for the NVIDIA OpenCL implementation as required by the OpenCL specification Version: 1.0.
But, this should be valid for 32 and 64bits versions. So, if it works for 32bits, shouldn't it works for 64bits too?

Just to try understand what I read in the dump and source code:
Will the function clConfusedtart() just return the atom ok? Because reading this way I can understand how it is crashing wings.

RE: OpenCL not working - Stem - 12-04-2013

Hi,

I have not seen the error with "openCL proxy mode" either on nVidia or AMD for latest wings 64 bit. (I am on win7 64)

May I ask, is Wings only using GPU for openCL proxy, or is it set to use all openCL devices? I only ask as due to me not seeing the problem, it may well be because nVidia only supply openCL drivers for the GPU, whereas AMD supply openCL driver for both GPU and CPU. For my setup on nVidia, I leave the AMD drivers for CPU OCL installed. (there is also the intel OCL driver SDK available that may help in this situation? http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/opencl-sdk )

RE: OpenCL not working - micheus - 12-04-2013

dgud, I was checking the last changes you made to the cl-1.2.1 and it seems that you are using the header from Intel SDK (since in the readme file your example about the env. settings uses it).

I have all SDKs and by comparing their cl.h file that was I noticed:
  • AMD = Khronos 1.2
  • Intel = Khronos 1.2 + clSetPrintfCallback/3 func - 4 constant defines
  • NVidia = Khronos 1.1
  • Khronos 1.2 = Khronos 1.1 + new defines and functions
So, would not be good use the headers from the "official" specifier?

again, trying to understand the cl sources, is it able to load the right beam module for the opencl version found?