Wings 3D Development Forum
Error while starting up Wings 3D - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Error while starting up Wings 3D (/showthread.php?tid=537)

Error while starting up Wings 3D - Geertvc - 01-01-2014

Using Windows XP, home edition, SP3.

I downloaded version 1.5.2 of Wings 3d and after installing and starting up the application, I always get the error given in the attached picture "InternalErrorMessage.png".

The error dump is also attached: wings_crash.dump.txt.

Result is also that my menus are transparent and I can't chose any background colour to modify this. See attached pictures "TransparentMenus.png" and "NoColourSelectionPossible.png".

I've also tried the command line approach (see this article), but with the same results. See attached picture "CommandApproach.png".

Anyone any idea?

Best rgds,
--Geert

RE: Error while starting up Wings 3D - micheus - 01-12-2014

In accord with the dump file its fail to run this OpenGL command glGet(GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX) when preparing to draw the axis icons (the X, Y, Z letters).

That is very strange. What video card are you using? Is the drive updated?

RE: Error while starting up Wings 3D - Geertvc - 01-26-2014

(01-12-2014, 09:45 PM)micheus Wrote: In accord with the dump file its fail to run this OpenGL command glGet(GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX) when preparing to draw the axis icons (the X, Y, Z letters).

I'm running Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3 installed.

The video card I'm using is an ATI Medion Radeon X740XL. I've attached the specs I got from "PC Wizard 2013" by means of screenshots.

(01-12-2014, 09:45 PM)micheus Wrote: In accord with the dump file its fail to run this OpenGL command glGet(GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX) when preparing to draw the axis icons (the X, Y, Z letters).

Because you were talking about OpenGl, I've also attached the OpenGl specs (again retrieved via PC Wizard 2013).

I wanted to add one more image (driver information), but I'm blocked due to the total attachment limitation...Sad

RE: Error while starting up Wings 3D - micheus - 01-26-2014

Geertvc, even your video card being an old one (2005), that OpenGL instruction should not break it. I don't know what to say, because there is no way to recreate this situation here. I got similar effect when playing with OpenGL drawing for my Heightmap plugin - OpenGL memory was being corrupted by wrong settings I did. (that's not the case of the official release)

Were you using any previous version of Wings3d before and it was working?
Did you download and installed the Development Release of Wings3d?

RE: Error while starting up Wings 3D - Geertvc - 01-27-2014

(01-26-2014, 09:21 PM)micheus Wrote: Geertvc, even your video card being an old one (2005), that OpenGL instruction should not break it. I don't know what to say, because there is no way to recreate this situation here. I got similar effect when playing with OpenGL drawing for my Heightmap plugin - OpenGL memory was being corrupted by wrong settings I did. (that's not the case of the official release)

Were you using any previous version of Wings3d before and it was working?
Did you download and installed the Development Release of Wings3d?

Indeed, I agree, my PC is quite an "oldie". But still sufficiently good working for me... And yes, I've used Wings3D a couple of years back (don't know exactly how long ago, though...) and it was working fine.

In the mean time, the "old" installed version was long gone, but I wanted to create a new 3D object for KiCAD (electronics design package, including PCB development and 3D views), so I thought to again install Wings3d.

I did NOT yet dld the development release, but will do this right away and let you know the outcome.

(01-26-2014, 09:21 PM)micheus Wrote: Did you download and installed the Development Release of Wings3d?

Just tried out the development release (strange it has the same version number, 1.5.2, as the stable release...), but the results are just the same.

Same error, same behaviour...

RE: Error while starting up Wings 3D - micheus - 01-27-2014

(01-27-2014, 06:46 PM)Geertvc Wrote: Just tried out the development release (strange it has the same version number, 1.5.2, as the stable release...), but the results are just the same.
Ok, thank you for check it.

I don't know what version you had used before, but maybe you would try to install 1.5.1 that is basically the 1.4.1 with lot of bug fixes. You can find all version in this link on SourceForge.net.

RE: Error while starting up Wings 3D - Geertvc - 01-30-2014

(01-27-2014, 08:13 PM)micheus Wrote: I don't know what version you had used before, but maybe you would try to install 1.5.1 that is basically the 1.4.1 with lot of bug fixes. You can find all version in this link on SourceForge.net.

I first downloaded and installed 1.5.1, but with the same errors. Then I installed version 1.4.1 and that is working fine (IIRC, that was the version I've used a couple of years back...).

So, issue must have been introduced between version 1.4.1 and 1.5.1, it seems.

RE: Error while starting up Wings 3D - micheus - 01-30-2014

(01-30-2014, 08:42 AM)Geertvc Wrote: So, issue must have been introduced between version 1.4.1 and 1.5.1, it seems.
It's possible. Something to look for. Smile

Thanks for the feedback