Wings 3D Development Forum
Wings 3D 1.5.3. crashes when editing preferences - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Wings 3D 1.5.3. crashes when editing preferences (/showthread.php?tid=746)

Pages: 1 2

Wings 3D 1.5.3. crashes when editing preferences - Wulfhelm - 06-08-2014

Hello!

I've recently downloaded Wings 3D for the first time and I'm experiencing the following bug:

- When I try to edit preferences either by the menu or by the button in the upper right corner, the program crashes with a standard Windows "erl.exe has stopped working" error.

- I am using Windows 7 professional SP1 (64 bit) in a German language version. (But I do not use any localization for Wings 3D.)

- I have installed Wings 3D version 1.5.3. (64bit) and 1.5.3. (32bit), uninstalled and reinstalled them. The error persists.

Best regards

RE: Wings 3D 1.5.3. crashes when editing preferences - micheus - 06-08-2014

Is there any dump file? (use Windows Explorer and try to find any *.dump file (would be for Wings or Erlang))

Also, would you try to install it again and force the installer install the Microsoft DLL's ?
You can try to force Erlang to show up it's console window by running the command as dgud suggested in this other post.
It's a good idea to use the same path for "-extra" parameter too (just for now).

RE: Wings 3D 1.5.3. crashes when editing preferences - Wulfhelm - 06-08-2014

Hello!

I've reinstalled (1.5.3. 64bit) it and checked the option to install the Microsoft DLLs. I did get a warning about a newer version of MS C++ already being installed, and just proceeded. The crash happened again. I did not find a *.dump file after it.

Best regards

... and how about to run wings3d in the command prompt - dgud's suggestion - in order to try get any feedback in the Erlang console window?

I tried that, and a console does pop up, but the error persists in the same fashion and I can seen no information in the console. Here is what it looks like:

yeah, now we have no much to do. It's impossible to guess what is happen. Sad

I would like to ask you for check if the Preferences.txt file was created and - if so - would you attach it?

I also would I suggest you to try install the version 1.4.1 - just thinking a bout what the user who started that thread wrote there. (but I need you check the preferences before do that Smile)

Of course, here it is:

Interesting you have got it since its the first time you used Wings3d. For the first time ever you run Wings3d the preference file should be created when you leave wings3d, since the preferences data is written only in this situation. (that is the usual)

In case you still have any patience, would you rename or remove the existent file and check if it becomes to exists after you try to run wings3d again? Blush

I did use the software to create some basic shapes, and I'm sure I exited it once. The crash only happened when I bothered to change the preferences.

If I remove the file, then start the program and exit it, a new one is indeed created.

I have also, in the meantime, uninstalled it, removed all traces I could find (registry, folders), restarted my machine and reinstalled it. No change, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Also, I just jumped the gun a bit and gave the 1.4.1 version a try. That works. Also I didn't get any error message about the Microsoft C++ distributable in that installation.

Ok. Thanks for all tests and information.

I used your Preferences files here (just changing the user path) and I have not problem.

I'm thinking about something we can verify, please check your Private Message - I sent to you PM.