Wings 3D Development Forum
I don't like the new UI, what do I do? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: I don't like the new UI, what do I do? (/showthread.php?tid=879)

Pages: 1 2

I don't like the new UI, what do I do? - Ringleader - 09-15-2014

Hey ya'll, long time wings user, first time poster.

I've been using wings since around 2008-2009. I preferred using the older versions because I really dislike the new UI, but now I have to upgrade to use some of the new features in my modeling.

Is there any way, any way at all I can use the old control settings in the new wings? Please help!

RE: I don't like the new UI, what do I do? - micheus - 09-15-2014

What new UI you are talking about? Rolleyes
A "new UI" should be released only with the next Wings3d version.

RE: I don't like the new UI, what do I do? - ggaliens - 09-15-2014

That's what I wondered Micheus ... what aspect of new UI is being complained about ?

Mostly the UI has been fairly consistent for a very long time.

A bit more specificity would help here. Are we talking about toolbar icons ?

I didn't ask you a question Micheus. LOL. - ggaliens - 09-16-2014

I was asking RingLeader for specificity. Not you Micheus.

RE: I didn't ask you a question Micheus. LOL. - micheus - 09-16-2014

(09-16-2014, 02:27 PM)ggaliens Wrote: I was asking RingLeader for specificity. Not you Micheus.
Next time let this clear!
Answer removed.

RE: I don't like the new UI, what do I do? - Ringleader - 09-17-2014

What I mean is, the differences between the older versions like 1.2-1.3 and the newer 1.4. For instance pressing spacebar in the new version switches from object to face selection.

There are a few other things, like when you right click on the screen there's a bar above the usual 'move, rotate, etc.' options. it messes with my flow.

RE: I don't like the new UI, what do I do? - oort - 09-18-2014

Ringleader,
Under Edit > Preferences > General Tab > Enable "Conditional Deselection". This may not give you exactly what it used to be but it works good once you get used to it. Spacebar once clears the selection but remembers the selection mode. Spacebar twice switches back to multi-selection mode so you can choose either faces, edges, or verts. No object selection but you can always hit hotkey B for object mode. How often do you select objects when modeling? Maybe more than I do???

Under Edit > Preferences > User Interface Tab > Disable "Show Menu Toolbar" under "Menu Toolbar". This will get rid of the bar on the RMB Menus.

Hope that helps some...
oort

RE: I don't like the new UI, what do I do? - Ringleader - 09-19-2014

Thanks, that worked!

Another thing is that click and drag physically drags faces/points/edges, instead of highlighting multiple faces like it used to. How do you switch it back to the old way?

RE: I don't like the new UI, what do I do? - oort - 09-19-2014

Glad that helped... To "paint select" > Double click and hold LMB to start highlighting multiple faces.

oort

RE: I don't like the new UI, what do I do? - micheus - 09-19-2014

(09-19-2014, 03:33 AM)Ringleader Wrote: instead of highlighting multiple faces like it used to.
(09-19-2014, 04:04 AM)oort Wrote: To "paint select" > Double click and hold LMB to start highlighting multiple faces.
... or disable the Tweak mode, since it seems you have activated it accidentally. Hold CTRL key and hit RMB to access the Tweak menu, then select Disable Tweak.