Wings 3D Development Forum
Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programming (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" (/showthread.php?tid=1131)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Building a development environment for Windows [updated 06/19/14] - dgud - 03-31-2015

'which EXECUTEABLE' is unix command looking up where if anywhere in the path the exectuable is first.

for example:
~/src/wings (dgud/wx-backend):> which ls
/bin/ls.exe
~/src/wings (dgud/wx-backend):>

But as Micheus just said you must have it in your PATH variable to find it,
which btw I don't :-)

RE: Building a development environment for Windows [updated 06/19/14] - ggaliens - 03-31-2015

A DLL by itsself is not a proper executable. Not at all. Dan ... you have ever used 'which' to locate a DLL ?

RE: Building a development environment for Windows [updated 06/19/14] - dgud - 03-31-2015

No it's not but it is something required by windows to be in PATH.
So it seems to be a mingw/cygwin hack, I don't think it is possible to find .so on unix.

Yes I have, Micheus instructions comes from me or Björn...probably an old readme or something.

~/src/wings (dgud/wx-backend):$> which msys-1.0.dll
/bin/msys-1.0.dll

RE: Building a development environment for Windows [updated 06/19/14] - ggaliens - 03-31-2015

Interesting ... I went grepping on which to see if I could find this usage which.

FYI ... a DLL does not need to be in path. My personal preference from days gone by
was to use application directory or even explicit load. Using the path can be taking a chance due to
competition for path order.

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - micheus - 04-01-2015

I had a small time for that...
...let's start again.

(06-20-2014, 01:25 PM)ggaliens Wrote: I think I see something odd in #3. With SDL_DIR assignment ?
that #3 is related to building the ESDL pack. This line:
$ SDL_DIR=/mingw rebar compile
which now a days I'm using:
$ SDL_DIR=/usr/local rebar compile

Take a look on Readme file in the ESDL repository. You will find:
Quote:...
You need rebar, see: github.com/rebar/rebar
Build with:
rebar compile
On windows:
===========
SDL_DIR=/opt/local rebar compile (requires Microsoft's SDK)
or
CC=gcc SDL_DIR=/opt/local rebar compile (requires mingw)
also copy SDL.dll to esdl/priv dir or put SDL.dll somewhere in your path.

So, if it was put "somewhere in you path" the which command that is able to search into all folders/path/directories included in the $PATH environment variable will find executables as well as .DLL too (who knows why?)

As the "which" command is ran in the MSys console, the $PATH environment variable is not that one own by Windows, but the one provide by MSys plus the folders we append in the bash_profile script.

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - ggaliens - 04-01-2015

Copy it to esdl/priv.

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - micheus - 04-01-2015

Lets say I had two options and I decided to use that one. Wink

But, I can change it in the tutorial.
Anyway, all repositories have a readme file full of information - and sometimes options. It's a good habit read them.

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - Neon22 - 04-09-2016

I know its a hassle Micheus but is now a good time to update the howto dev post to show how to use wxwidgets instead of SDL ?
or can you point me in right direction...

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - micheus - 04-10-2016

Yeah, an update would be an option.
Until we get it, you can start checking the file named BUILD.??? In the repository root. It's the official guide. Smile

RE: Discussing about "Building a development environment for Windows" - dgud - 04-10-2016

You can just scratch the SDL part, wxWidgets is included in the erlang install on windows.