Wings 3D Development Forum
Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs (/showthread.php?tid=33)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - maker - 12-16-2012

(11-18-2012, 10:17 AM)Geta-Ve Wrote: Sexy. I like what I see. Great job optigon.

+10

(11-19-2012, 12:53 PM)Geta-Ve Wrote: Fair enough. I certainly can't speak from any kind of mechanical or architectural standpoint, so your opinion definitely takes precedence here.

Smile

I can Wink, and I definitely like the idea of primitives being created in a user-defined position. Maybe, alternatively, at center of previously selected points. Or--yet another alternative--if Absolute Move could be enhanced to allow Click on Target Point.

Just dreaming Smile

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - puzzledpaul - 12-16-2012

Re issue of of new prims always @ origin.

What about a tick box / radio button that (when ticked) allows user to freely move the prim after its dialog box closes / parameters are accepted?

pp

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - greytery - 12-16-2012

Good idea - I'd support that type of option.
I think you mean: "There's a Default Behaviour - get used to it! - but let's be flexible and allow other options. (er, IF it's easy to implement)". Roughly translated, that is.

NB! Speaking as a NewBie - I've been slightly confused and frustrated when new stuff melds into/over existing stuff although it's usually been interesting.
Default Behaviour - needs to be clear and defined.
Options - ditto.

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - puzzledpaul - 12-16-2012

Well, with the fairly simple, mainly non-organic models that I tend to make (usually to check things out prior to cutting metal/wood etc), I generally follow a couple of routes.

Create prim and then move it - using whatever tool is appropriate ... but maybe after a move free to actually unembed it from other junk cluttering up the origin ... and make it visible and thus easier to select a suitable element for a BBox op (for instance)
or
Look for an existing feature / shape similar to that which I want to create ... and either dupe it, or shell extrude a new object eg a cylinder from a local end face of another cyl.

pp

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - maker - 12-17-2012

(12-16-2012, 07:48 PM)puzzledpaul Wrote: Re issue of of new prims always @ origin.

What about a tick box / radio button that (when ticked) allows user to freely move the prim after its dialog box closes / parameters are accepted?

pp

This would be really useful, esp. with the new previews--you can now see the object as created. You could then snap it wherever you want.

(12-16-2012, 09:42 PM)puzzledpaul Wrote: or
Look for an existing feature / shape similar to that which I want to create ... and either dupe it, or shell extrude a new object eg a cylinder from a local end face of another cyl.
pp
That's the one I follow for architectural modelling too. Shell Extract a face, then Absolute Scale (if necessary) and Snap it. Lot more convenient than creating, scaling ... and works most of the time, except in the cases you've already mentioned. Smile

Unfortunately, it's not possible to copy / paste between two instances of Wings. But you can use the Absolute Move command to move it interactively out of the clutter; then Snap. (With shortcuts in place, it's a snap!)

[And, not that I'm not happy (thrilled) at what's already on offer. Wink ]

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - Fonte Boa - 12-17-2012

Just my 2 cents, as i suggested here:

http://www.wings3d.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=33&pid=149#pid149

To incorporate all Absolute Commands under a "+" session in Primitives dialog. And an option to move/scale to current saved Bounding Box.