Wings 3D Development Forum
Snapshot Time again - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Snapshot Time again (/showthread.php?tid=132)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Snapshot Time again - Geta-Ve - 04-17-2013

64bit! Woo!

Tested, crashed after a couple of tweak and smooth sessions, up to 24k polies. Tested again, got up to ... 500x500 torus able to tweak slightly here and there, until I tried to tweak half of it at once (re magnets) and it crashed. haha.

Otherwise looking good. Will test in real world scenario later and let you know how it goes.

Question, should we take notice of any vast difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions? IE, it 'should' support more polies, more this, more that, etc ?

RE: Snapshot Time again - Geta-Ve - 04-19-2013

Just an update, I have been using the 64bit version for a day or so now with no ill effects. Smile

GetaVe ... - ggaliens - 04-19-2013

GetaVe ...

My take on the move to 64bits. This move in "theory" can have you creating lots more POLYGONS. But in practice ... there are still wings3D application level design constraints that will have the system degrading in roughly the same manner ... whether your system can Wing it to a million polygons or not ... will depend on the system you have.

If you have a slow machine with 64 bit Windows 7 on it ... with only 4gb ram ... your milage might not be that great ... if you have a fast machine with 16GB Ram and a good graphics card and ar running non-interactive commands (thinks besides magnet tweeks and all) ... then you may find the 64 bit app nicer by a long shot.

How to measure your gains by going to 64bit version ... may be dependent on your system and you needs.

I was a little bit underwhelmed after initial elation and celebration. But it is certainly a nice mile-post to have past on the way to the future of Wings3D.

I'm glad to have the 64 bit version now.

RE: Snapshot Time again - Geta-Ve - 04-19-2013

Definitely a great milestone. My new system is quite a beast, just finished putting it together a couple of days ago. i7 3770k, 1gb 560ti, 32gb ram. Technically I should be able to run anything. haha. But yeah I feel like the limits are about the same.

So, as you say, it must be the underlying design of Wings, to which I admit needing high polygon counts was probably not an issue back in the day. Tongue

Snapshot Time again [updated] - micheus - 07-13-2013

As I have just build a version for Linux, I decided to group all the latests snapshot in a unique post.

Win32) wings-1.5.pre1.74.g2aee.exe (dgud's Dropbox)
Win64) wings-x64-1.5.pre1.78.gdd6c.exe (dgud's Dropbox)
MacOSX) wings-1.5.pre1.75.g8471-macosx.dmg (bjorng's Dropbox)
Linux/Ubuntu 13.04-64) wings-1.5.pre1.82.gda41.dirty-linux.bzip2.run (dgud's Dropbox)

[edited]Added the Linux link for Dgud`s Dropbox.

RE: Snapshot Time again - oort - 09-03-2013

dgud,
Can we hope for a final release of Wings3D 1.5.1 for Christmas this year?

Thanks for all you do.
oort