Wings 3D Development Forum
What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: What is the correct procedure for applying textures? (/showthread.php?tid=2861)

Pages: 1 2

What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - vershner - 11-12-2019

As suggested, I'm splitting this off from my first thread.

This is the procedure I am currently using to assign textures:

New file.
Import image.
Drag image onto default material and choose base colour.
Create cube and select it.
Go to default material and choose assign to selection.
Select one face of cube.
Right click - UV mapping.
In segmenting window, right click - continue - projection normal.

Now Wings creates a new material with the default texture rather than using the one I assigned. This seems wrong.
I've tried various variation on this, but I always seem to end up creating a useless default texture.

I can get around this - I right click on the default image - create texture, then switch to my one, but it seems like this should not be necessary every time I assign a texture to a face, so I assume I must be doing something wrong.

I've looked through a number of tutorials but they are mostly creating the texture after unwrapping, so the method is different. Also, they're all for much older versions.

RE: What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - micheus - 11-12-2019

Don't care about old tutorials about UV because that has been not changed too much.
Although, there is a small difference on the AutoUV editor from the old UI (until v1.5.4) and the new one after that.

The process is really the latest one you figured out. You must first unwrap your mesh in the AutoUV Segment window, then in the AutoUV Editor window you make any adjusts, cuts, stitches, ... and then use Create Texture which will result in a new material created and with a white image assigned to it. Sometimes you can get that image with the default alphabetic pattern.

When you choose the Create texture you have some options like dimension and some layers option.usually you are going to chose to draw background, face, edges. All of then have options. You need to check and try which one satisfies your needs.

That white image if it has the edges drawn can be used as reference in a external painting tool. You do that by using the context menu of it Make External.

After the texture creation, you can also replace the image by the one you use to import in case you don't need to export the Base one for painting.

RE: What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - vershner - 11-13-2019

Ok, I tend to make the texture first then fit the model to it. I guess that's why I'm tripping up here.

Another quick question - Is there any way to refresh the mip maps of a texture?
I've right clicked on the image to refresh and that has updated the full size image, but the mip maps are cached and still showing as the old version.

RE: What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - micheus - 11-13-2019

That's a interesting question. I don't use mip map images, so that is a question to dgud to answer. Smile

You are not talking about image filtering. Are you?
Because in this case there is an option to disable it under Show menu option too.

RE: What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - vershner - 11-13-2019

No, I guess that's anisotropic filtering. It doesn't seem to affect the mip maps.
Nevermind, I just restarted Wings to refresh them instead. It loads quickly so it's not a big deal.

RE: What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - dgud - 11-13-2019

(11-13-2019, 01:40 AM)vershner Wrote: No, I guess that's anisotropic filtering. It doesn't seem to affect the mip maps.
Nevermind, I just restarted Wings to refresh them instead. It loads quickly so it's not a big deal.

@vershner If you create you textures first and that is your workflow,
have you seen "Window/Snap Image" control.
That creates uv's from camera projection and assign material.

I have to look at the mip-maps generation during refresh,
that should just work when you refresh your texture.

Are we talking about Color textures or any kind of Normal maps here?

(11-13-2019, 08:08 AM)dgud Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 01:40 AM)vershner Wrote: No, I guess that's anisotropic filtering. It doesn't seem to affect the mip maps.

@vershner If you create you textures first and that is your workflow,
have you seen "Window/Snap Image" control.
That creates uv's from camera projection and assign material.
I'll give that a try, thanks!

Quote:I have to look at the mip-maps generation during refresh,
that should just work when you refresh your texture.

Are we talking about Color textures or any kind of Normal maps here?
Just colour texture.

RE: What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - dgud - 11-13-2019

What file format are you using?
dds?
In that case I can understand it, all other formats they are autogenerated by OpenGL driver.

RE: What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - vershner - 11-14-2019

Yes. dds.

RE: What is the correct procedure for applying textures? - dgud - 11-15-2019

Ok will fix, thanks.