Wings 3D Development Forum
Double-side plane? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Double-side plane? (/showthread.php?tid=3022)

Double-side plane? - vershner - 06-30-2021

Is there a simple way in Wings to make a plane double-sided?
I have a tree with leaves that are planes. Within Wings, they appear to have textures on both sides, but when exported to .obj and imported into a game, they only have one visible side.
I have fixed this by duplicating the whole thing, and rotating all objects 180 degrees on two axis, but this doubles the number of tris, which isn't ideal. Is there a better way?

RE: Double-side plane? - micheus - 07-01-2021

How did you created it?

Usually, Wings3D allows to create manifold objects, which in in this case it means create a cube with one dimension having a zero thickness.

But, there is an option by extracting one cube's face.

RE: Double-side plane? - vershner - 07-05-2021

I didn't create it. It was downloaded from from free3d.com. I imported it as an obj.

RE: Double-side plane? - micheus - 07-06-2021

Quote:I didn't create it. It was downloaded from from free3d.com. I imported it as an obj.
If you import this object in your game, does it looks correctly?
If yes, maybe what you are doing with it on Wings3D before export it again is causing the issue.

The best option would add the link to the .obj file for the foliage you are using and then I can better understand what you are experiencing.

_____

Just to show how this kind of object should look on Wings3D bellow is a example (leaves-texture.wings).

I used a pentagon face for my leaf for convenience, it was extracted and then I get a flat object with two faces sharing the same vertex.

In this case, we UV segment the object selecting the edges and marking them for cut. After unfold the mesh we have the two faces in the AutoUV window which one is the front and other is the back.
By having a prepared texture image we just need to correctly align then over the respective painted images:

[Image: building-leaves-1.png]

[Image: building-leaves-2.png]
* the black area on image is the transparency (the .png alpha channel)

RE: Double-side plane? - vershner - 07-17-2021

I've attached the obj file that I originally imported.

In Wings the texture is seen on both sides.

This image should show the issue in the game:

From above the texture is seen on each face, but from below, the reverse side is invisible.

RE: Double-side plane? - micheus - 07-20-2021

Which game engine are you using?
Couldn't the issue be related to a missing setup?!

I exported .obj (with the extra leaves removed) and loaded it in another 3d viewer and it showed the textures correctly.

RE: Double-side plane? - vershner - 07-20-2021

The game is Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic. I believe it's a custom engine.

I'll try emailing the developer and asking if there's any setting I can use for double sides textures.

RE: Double-side plane? - micheus - 07-20-2021

vershner, I just took a look at the engine and it has a very nice look.

I also found this information bellow in their Steam Community - Beginner Modders Q&A:
Quote:Modelviewer
Questions about the Modelviewer Tool

:
5. Q: Why are some parts of my model not visible in the game or are visible from the wrong side?
A: If the face is invisible from both sides, that means you used an alpha texture. If it is visible from one side, but not the one you want it to be visible from, that means that you have to flip normals in your 3D program, because the game doesn’t support textures visible from both sides.

Protip: A simple fix in blender is to select the face menu and solidify the area you wish to make dual faced.
In this case, that suggested Solidify in Blender is equivalent to Extrude in Wings3D.

I believe you will need to set a small amount of thickness to not let the faces overlapping, but also without make perceptive the double mesh (like 0.0001).

RE: Double-side plane? - vershner - 07-20-2021

Thank you. I will give that a try.