Wings 3D Development Forum
I removed a couple of edges and now my model looks "hollow" - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: I removed a couple of edges and now my model looks "hollow" (/showthread.php?tid=3158)

I removed a couple of edges and now my model looks "hollow" - VampiroMedicado - 02-29-2024

Hi, I was working on a person model for a boardgame that is intended to be used in Tabletop Simulator as a piece model.

I got the general idea and was trying to make it's "hands" look round and removed a couple of edges, which did make it look much better in Wings3D, but when I exported it as an .obj file it didn't work as intended.

I tried googling the problem, and using AI to find a fix but I'm not even sure how exactly could I describe my issue.

Any ideas?

In Wings3D:

[Image: wdhPpeH.png]

In game:

[Image: gpNjbqi.png]

My wings file: https://pixeldrain.com/u/3SH4WNjv

RE: I removed a couple of edges and now my model looks "hollow" - micheus - 02-29-2024

(02-29-2024, 05:29 PM)VampiroMedicado Wrote: I got the general idea and was trying to make it's "hands" look round and removed a couple of edges, which did make it look much better in Wings3D, but when I exported it as an .obj file it didn't work as intended.
It seems that in this process you got bad topology.

I took a look at you file and the middle piece was not nice - there are bad faces formed. We can see that (in the 1st image bellow) when we highlight a face and see something like that: we intend to get one triangle highlighted and we ended up getting a bigger polygon that looks like including three triangles.

[Image: person-vampiromedicado1.png]

Since you set the object contour to hard edges we can safety remove the top and bottom faces to try fix that (2nd image). Which I did, but the instead of get a big face it seems like we still have three faces (3rd image). So, the issue is still present in the vertical edges. When using the cleanup command the extra edges/vertices are finally removed (4th image).

That malformed object would justify the issue you experienced in game, but not for the circular object. So, the texture was not made internal and then I cannot see it, but it looks like it can have a transparent region.

Because you are using three separated objects and the same material it could be possible you used the Create Texture in AutoUV for one of the selected objects (in this case I guess for the left one in your in game image) and when exporting in png format all the other regions use to be transparent.

The better approach would be you to Combine the three objects - in this case you would avoid this kind of issue.

I also would suggest you to make better cut on the UV islands - the objects' side faces are fractionated when usually we extract then like a full strip.

Let me know if we got the right path here. Smile

RE: I removed a couple of edges and now my model looks "hollow" - VampiroMedicado - 03-02-2024

(02-29-2024, 10:00 PM)micheus Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 05:29 PM)VampiroMedicado Wrote: I got the general idea and was trying to make it's "hands" look round and removed a couple of edges, which did make it look much better in Wings3D, but when I exported it as an .obj file it didn't work as intended.
It seems that in this process you got bad topology.

I took a look at you file and the middle piece was not nice - there are bad faces formed. We can see that (in the 1st image bellow) when we highlight a face and see something like that: we intend to get one triangle highlighted and we ended up getting a bigger polygon that looks like including three triangles.

[Image: person-vampiromedicado1.png]

Since you set the object contour to hard edges we can safety remove the top and bottom faces to try fix that (2nd image). Which I did, but the instead of get a big face it seems like we still have three faces (3rd image). So, the issue is still present in the vertical edges. When using the cleanup command the extra edges/vertices are finally removed (4th image).

That malformed object would justify the issue you experienced in game, but not for the circular object. So, the texture was not made internal and then I cannot see it, but it looks like it can have a transparent region.

Because you are using three separated objects and the same material it could be possible you used the Create Texture in AutoUV for one of the selected objects (in this case I guess for the left one in your in game image) and when exporting in png format all the other regions use to be transparent.

The better approach would be you to Combine the three objects - in this case you would avoid this kind of issue.

I also would suggest you to make better cut on the UV islands - the objects' side faces are fractionated when usually we extract then like a full strip.

Let me know if we got the right path here. Smile

I'll try your steps and report back! Thanks.

Before this post I did a full reset of the UV map so it doesn't have areas now, but before that it looked like this:

[Image: Ay1uAya.png]

I did a union between the cylinder and the middle ex-cube and now the cylinder works.

[Image: UPD7j23.png]

RE: I removed a couple of edges and now my model looks "hollow" - micheus - 03-04-2024

(03-02-2024, 10:30 PM)VampiroMedicado Wrote: I'll try your steps and report back! Thanks.
Please do that.
That bad topology may have some kind of a side effect.
I tested your texture (yellow) with the fixed mesh and you will need to fix the UV map for that region which will look transparent on Wings3D.