Wings 3D Development Forum
new release? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: new release? (/showthread.php?tid=422)

new release? - quadf - 10-08-2013

I've been looking into using wings3d for some low poly work, but it looks like the most recent release is quite old.

I've seen there are some source only releases on github and there are no binary releases.

Are there any plans to release a set of new stable Wings3d binaries?

RE: new release? - oort - 10-08-2013

quadf,
Even the older releases of Wings3D will serve you well for low poly modeling. To get the latest snapshot check this thread... Wings3d Latest Snapshot

You can find links to binaries for the official Wings 1.4.1 release on this page of the Wings3D website...Wings3D Binaries Links

oort

RE: new release? - quadf - 10-09-2013

(10-08-2013, 10:05 PM)oort Wrote: quadf,
Even the older releases of Wings3D will serve you well for low poly modeling. To get the latest snapshot check this thread... Wings3d Latest Snapshot

You can find links to binaries for the official Wings 1.4.1 release on this page of the Wings3D website...Wings3D Binaries Links

oort

That release seems to have a lot of bugs. Ending up with open geometry can end up making all commands error out. If there are no plans for a new stable release, I'd rather look into using something else because I don't even know what kind of bugs I'll run into.

RE: new release? - oort - 10-09-2013

quadf,
Those aren't bugs. You are just breaking the rules for Wings3D. Wings3D requires that you work with a closed mesh (no open geometry allowed). It has to do with the winged edge method that Wings3D uses and gets its name from. I think you are trying to work with Wings3D as a poly modeler which will not work. Look at tutorials on box modeling to see how easy it works.

oort

RE: new release? - micheus - 10-09-2013

(10-09-2013, 03:55 PM)oort Wrote: Look at tutorials on box modeling to see how easy it works.
quadf, check this link on the website.
Also, the last snapshot is almost bug free. I think that we'll have a stable release soon. dgud has been working on it and recently I noticed that he set a new tag to 1.5.1 on the github sources.

RE: new release? - quadf - 10-10-2013

(10-09-2013, 03:55 PM)oort Wrote: quadf,
Those aren't bugs. You are just breaking the rules for Wings3D. Wings3D requires that you work with a closed mesh (no open geometry allowed). It has to do with the winged edge method that Wings3D uses and gets its name from. I think you are trying to work with Wings3D as a poly modeler which will not work. Look at tutorials on box modeling to see how easy it works.

oort

That was a bad example, but I've run into others, like not being able to select rings and loops all of a sudden.

(10-09-2013, 04:11 PM)micheus Wrote:
(10-09-2013, 03:55 PM)oort Wrote: Look at tutorials on box modeling to see how easy it works.
quadf, check this link on the website.
Also, the last snapshot is almost bug free. I think that we'll have a stable release soon. dgud has been working on it and recently I noticed that he set a new tag to 1.5.1 on the github sources.

I'm using the snapshot now. I hope 1.5.1 (or whatever will become stable) will get some binaries soon. I have run into a couple of bugs with 1.4.1 since it was released.

update: the snapshot crashed while moving back and forth between subdivision levels, sigh Sad

RE: new release? - oort - 10-11-2013

quadf,
Make sure you didn't accidentally turn on caps lock (assuming you are using shortcut keys to select loops and rings). the shortcut keys are case sensitive.

Please post bug reports for the snapshot release in the snapshot thread. They may have been fixed by now but I do not remember seeing that one... Sad

Thanks,
oort

RE: new release? - Stem - 10-24-2013

Congratulations on getting the new release out (1.5.1).

Is there a full change log (for between 1.4.1 and 1.5.1?)

I know there was the change with the primitives having the possible real-time feedback on creation, but was looking to see if any new tools have been added.