Wings 3D Development Forum
A window for Saved Views [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/07) - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: A window for Saved Views [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/07) (/showthread.php?tid=74)

Pages: 1 2 3

A window for Saved Views [plug-in] (updated: 2013/Jan/07) - micheus - 11-29-2012

Saved Views can help us a lot if we need to move around an object while modeling it - by preserving the correct location.

I already used it this way and I found it very "bureaucratic" - mainly when we need to alternate between them several times (View -> saved Views -> Jump -> <saved_camera>).

These days Fonte Boa talked about speed up it by using the same way we did with Selection Group - a window with single click selection.

Here is it. It uses the main operations and I added one new: Replace (it replaces/updates the view data for an already saved view)

I don't like the concept of "Current" camera used on Wings, since we can move the camera and that "Current" is not the current location but the last saved view selected. Anyway, I left it highlighted.

Operations when pop-up menu activated in a "blanck" area:
[Image: savedviewswin.png]

Operations when pop-up menu activated over the select item ("Current"):
[Image: savedviewswinsel.png]

Operations for item with the mouse over:
[Image: savedviewswinover.png]

Download on my Google Disk
*-erts.5.8 is compatible with Wings 1.3.1 -> 1.4.1
*-erts.5.9 is compatible with future Wings release (> 1.4.1)
(updated 2013/Jan/07)

Download the .tar file and use File-> Install Plugin (it should work)

[Edit]
It was added option for select which Geometry window you want save the view (in case there are many opened). Thanks maker.

RE: A window for Saved Views [plug-in] - Fonte Boa - 11-29-2012

Really great, Micheus: this will rescue all those View|Saved View commands (next/prev/jump/save/move current/ etc) from oblivion. Just to people understand better the importance of your plugin, any of those commands just can be reached today by at least 3 mouse clicks (and this has to be repeated again to use another one etc: horrible). With Micheus Saved Views window, any of them can be reached with single (eventually double) mouse click! Fantastic and very useful!

I hope this can be distributed, together Selection Groups window, with next Wings release.

Congratulations, Micheus, and thanks for the terrific work. Smile

EDIT:
Micheus, i just found at your Google Disk (link above) the Selection Groups window plugin: didnt you forgot the Saved View window beam?

RE: A window for Saved Views [plug-in] - micheus - 11-29-2012

(11-29-2012, 12:50 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: Micheus, i just found at your Google Disk (link above) the Selection Groups window plugin: didnt you forgot the Saved View window beam?
Damn copy and past! Biggrin

RE: A window for Saved Views [plug-in] - Fonte Boa - 11-29-2012

It works like a charm, Micheus! Thanks.

RE: A window for Saved Views [plug-in] - maker - 12-15-2012

+1 to above Smile

It only works with the first Geometry Window -- though shortcuts work for any additional Geom win -- but that's a minor matter.

RE: A window for Saved Views [plug-in] - micheus - 12-16-2012

(12-15-2012, 08:56 AM)maker Wrote: It only works with the first Geometry Window -- though shortcuts work for any additional Geom win -- but that's a minor matter.
maker, thans for report this.

As the Geom window [Geo] lost the focus when this window got it, I cannot determine how Geo you want use. So, the best I could code was get the Geo under the "Saved View" window [SV]. This way, you will need to move SV and leave it over the Geo that you want save the view. (it isn't applyed for the files linked in this thread).

RE: A window for Saved Views [plug-in] - maker - 12-16-2012

(12-16-2012, 05:20 AM)micheus Wrote: So, the best I could code was get the Geo under the "Saved View" window [SV]. This way, you will need to move SV and leave it over the Geo that you want save the view. (it isn't applyed for the files linked in this thread).

Thanks. I'm quite sure I saved the view in the 2nd window.

I normally work with 2 Geos: 1 3d, 1 elevation / plan (orthographic view). I think I saved view "Front" in the 2nd window. But I'll check as soon as possible.

Thanks again for some really time-saving plugins Smile

Edit: Checked. Yes, it only works with the 1st window.

Funny behaviour of Views window plugin - maker - 12-23-2012

Just something odd I noticed about the View Window plugin. [pre 1.5, win XP]

On first re-opening a file with saved views: click on the first view: Nothing happens, the saved view doesn't open

Click on 2nd view; it opens with no problem. Click again on 1st view: now it will open okay. Interesting? Biggrin

RE: A window for Saved Views [plug-in] - maker - 12-27-2012

Addendum to above: After initiating View 2, if you make some modifications to view (zoom, rotate view, etc.) and click on "view 2" in Views Window - Nothing! You have to click on "view 1," then on "view 2". Huh

RE: A window for Saved Views [plug-in] - micheus - 12-30-2012

(12-16-2012, 06:33 AM)maker Wrote:
(12-16-2012, 05:20 AM)micheus Wrote: So, the best I could code was get the Geo under the "Saved View" window [SV]. This way, you will need to move SV and leave it over the Geo that you want save the view. (it isn't applyed for the files linked in this thread).
Thanks. I'm quite sure I saved the view in the 2nd window.
Edit: Checked. Yes, it only works with the 1st window.
I believe that you didn't download the last update I had mentionated. Did you?

(12-23-2012, 09:25 AM)maker Wrote: On first re-opening a file with saved views: click on the first view: Nothing happens, the saved view doesn't open

Click on 2nd view; it opens with no problem. Click again on 1st view: now it will open okay. Interesting? Biggrin

Addendum to above: After initiating View 2, if you make some modifications to view (zoom, rotate view, etc.) and click on "view 2" in Views Window - Nothing! You have to click on "view 1," then on "view 2". Huh
I couldn't experience this.

Please, update your file and check if those things are still happening with you. (go to the first post)

I rewrite the save/restore view code for this window. Now, if you are using any other additional Geom window an pop-up menu will ask you about what window you want use.